Collins provided structural design and construction administration services for maintenance repairs, seismic evaluation, and feasibility for the conversion of an existing warehouse at Building 322 at Union Pier into a new cruise terminal in Charleston, South Carolina.
- A complete above water and underwater inspection of the existing pier.
- 3-D finite element structural analysis of the existing pier.
- Development of construction documents and technical specifications for repair of deteriorated elements.
- Submittal and shop drawing review, project correspondence, and owner progress briefings.
- Payment application review.
- Construction observation and overall quality assurance with multiple site visits per week to review the progress.
Following the design of repairs, seismic evaluation, and construction administration, Collins provided engineering services for the design of the new cruise terminal including the following:
- Design of a 2-story addition to the existing structure for a passenger waiting area, boarding, and disembarking. Design included multiple long-span members to allow for security and circulation within terminal.
- 3-D finite element structural analysis of the new building to determine the seismic reinforcing required to improve building from warehouse structure designed prior to seismic codes to public assembly space that satisfies all International Building Code seismic provisions.
- Design of multiple entrance canopies tied to building and free-standing canopies around site.
- Design of pile-supported monumental stair to provide access to terminal.
- Structural support for 30 foot wide by 300 foot long rooftop monitors to allow for natural light inside building. Existing structure was strengthened to support monitors, as well as seismic loads.
- Strengthening of track wells adjacent to the building and design of hollow core concrete panels to span over track wells and provide access to terminal from parking/drop-off areas.
- Exterior egress features such as stairs and ramps.
Collins also provided design services for mooring and fenders for the cruise ships.